Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I purchased a Baby Grand Panio about 7-8 years ago.

Customer Question
Good afternoon,I purchased a Baby...
Good afternoon,I purchased a Baby Grand Panio about 7-8 years ago. (Purchased on layaway with company,) I paid the Panio off this year and the owner told me I would get the Panio sometime in October, he had to order the Panio. I have not heard from him, I tried calling him, e-mailing him, I have gone to his store (it was closed) I went to his house and he does not answer the door.
Bot***** *****ne I have not received a response from him. The Panio cost me $17,000. $18,000. What advice can you give me?
By the way, I know he is still in business because I had a friend call him on her phone inquiring about Panio lessons, he teaches Panio lessons. Any advice is much appreciated.Rene Flores(###) ###-####
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/6/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. This appears to be a breach of contract based on the failure to perform within a reasonable time if they have not delivered the piano in the past two months as it would probably not take that long for a reasonable piano manufacturer or retailer to get that to you. Courts regularly look toward the Uniform Commercial Code as their guide, since many states have adopted this code into their own statutes. Under UCC Section 2-309(1), the law says that each party has a reasonable time to perform if it is not expressly stated in the contract. What is considered “reasonable” is a matter of fact and depends on the circumstances, but it is an argument that you would have to make that it is unreasonable. Regardless, there is a legal basis for your particular claim. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract. It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court. This website is also pretty cool because they have some state-specific breach of contract forms that you can use as well. Click here to choose your state started.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Infolawyer, Lawyer