Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I'm trying to find out what options I have. I took my truck…

Customer Question
I'm trying to find...

I'm trying to find out what options I have. I took my truck in to be fixed and it's been 3 months and I still don't have it back nor is it fixed.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the truck?

State is TN and the truck was a 2010. I purchased the truck and picked it up June 3, 2017. On August 19 it started smoking. We took it to a local shop, that said they didn't want to deal with it (it's a Land Rover), to take it to the dealer. At that point we took it back to the car sales place where we bought it. they looked at it and said that I blew the engine and suggested a shop that would be able to fix it. We agreed and they took it to the shop they suggested. Now it's been 3 months and it's still not fixed.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

No. What would I contact the manufacturer about?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We paid them $5000 to purchase the engine and then agreed to an additional $1000 for labor once the car was finished

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
12/6/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

First you need to check with the shop that has the truck, because you need to know what the delay reason is. If they cannot give you a reason for the delay, then you can sue them in court for return of your truck and return of your money paid them as they have breached the contract with you as they failed to make the repairs in reasonable time.

You can also report them to the State Attorney General regarding unfair and deceptive business practices and they will investigate to determine what the issue was causing this delay as well.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.