Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My car was totaled in an accident on 9/16, Toyota

Customer Question
My car was totaled...

My car was totaled in an accident on 9/16, Toyota automatically withdrew a lease payment on 9/15 , but the billing date was actually due 9/17. All payments to Toyota have been settled, including the GAP, but now after promising I would get my $325 lease payment back, they say it will not be forthcoming. I am entitled to this payment as I had no use of the car for the month of October, which I was billed for.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

NJ and the car was a Prius 2016

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

I am in the process of writing the CEO of Toyota in Plano, Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have spoken with a number of Toyota reps but there is a disconnect between Toyota Financial services and Toyota Gap insurance which has left me frustrated.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
12/5/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
It should be credited to you as promised. You have a few options. Let me outline them. You can pursue a complaint in civil court. You may sue for losses suffered plus costs and interest. You can also file a complaint with the attorney general office. You can threaten these options before pursuing and use for leverage. local counsel can also get involved! A lawyer letter alone can often bring about a settlement as the other side realizes that you are serious and gets concerned about its risk and legal fees. Can also complain to insurer supervisor and insurance department.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
I believe they applied my $325 payment to the GAP settlement. I do not think this is legal.
Agreed. They reneged and you have the options I outlined above!
Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. Happy Holidays!