Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I bought a car 5 years ago for 13000 with a 25% interest…

Customer Question
I bought a car...

I bought a car 5 years ago for 13000 with a 25% interest rate. They say I still owe 9000 on it. The book value is 1500 to 2500 dollar's. It is 2009 model. It is costing me a lot of money to keep up. What can I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Ohio , it is a 2009

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I know other states have a class action on this company

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
12/4/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You have a right to consider suing the company for predatory lending practices for their excessive interest rates and also to make them prove you actually still owe that amount of money. However, these types of car lots who sell to people with bad or no credit frequently charge such ridiculous rates that consumers are treated unfairly.

What you need to do is first get a local consumer attorney (even legal aid if you cannot afford one), they will take your loan and they will send a letter to the lender to settle and end the loan based on the excessive interest. If the company will not settle, they would look at suing the company for unfair practices and predatory lending in OH and seek to get the loan terminated.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.