Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have a closed account. A collection agency recently

Customer Question
I have a closed...

I have a closed account . A collection agency recently reported the account to my credit report with the notation of "Lein". I contacted them . I was told the account was closed and they could not sue but if I did not pay my credit report would be highly affected.

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Sorry - Hit send too early.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California. I had a major setback financially which caused my credit scores to dip quite a bit. Before the setback my scores were in upper 700's. I have been trying to get my credit back to a better status. I agreed to a payment plan. I was paying until I attempted to contact my account manager. He was unavailable and I could not reach him - others who answered could not process a payment from my checking account.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

The Original account or the collection agency?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My question is : What happens to closed accounts? Am I obligated to pay? How do I know the collection agency is being legit? Who do I contact

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
12/3/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. Generally, there is a statute of limitations that prohibits a creditor from bringing a lawsuit against a debtor. In CA, it's generally six years. When it comes to a closed account, the party has the right to still come after you, but they cannot sue you in court and force you to pay. Sometimes, just settling the debt is the easiest thing to do. It doesn't always appear as if it's the easiest thing to do, but every single day lawyers across the country are explaining to their clients that if they just work on settling their debts in a way that makes sense for them and they are going to be in a better position in the long-term. To facilitate your situation, there’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for debt settlement (click here). It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If you send this letter and they do not respond, then try sending it again to remind them that settling is really what resolving disputes is all about.

What other questions did you have for me today?