Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I had a repair made to my pickup a few months ago. In the…

Customer Question
I had a repair...

I had a repair made to my pickup a few months ago. In the process the shop damaged one of the sensors in the area the repair was made. 7 visits later with my vehicle staying overnight and me buying parts that were unnecessary, vehicle is still broken and going to cost 1200-1500 to repair by the dealership. Do I have a case to sue the original repair shop for the bill at the dealership?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Indiana, 2009

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

No, my next step is to take the vehicle to the dealership for diagnoses and repair

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
I filed a complaint with the BBB. Here is the complaint and most of the details.Took vehicle to Fox for a transmission fluid leak. They fixed the leak but broke something else in the process and are unable to diagnose and fix it. Took vehicle to Fox & Fox on September 12, 2017 for a transmission leak repair. Once repair was made, my wife picked it up and dropped it off at my work. Once I got off that evening, the truck wouldn't start and I got it to Fox that evening and left it. They told me that the mechanic who had worked on it the previous day had said he had problems starting it up after he had made the repair to the transmission leak. It was showing several codes when I dropped it off, but they worked on it again and said it was fixed. I picked it up again and drove it for approximately 2.5 weeks and started getting the same codes so I took it back to Fox. They worked on it again and told me to purchase a harness that would fix the problem, which I did. They called me later and said that part doesn't even fit on my vehicle and that they didn't know where I had gotten the number at, even though they verified that I had the "right" part when I dropped it off. They returned the part to me which I still have as I can not return it for a refund. They worked on the issue again, kept my truck for several days and then called me and said they had the problem fixed. I again picked up my truck and immediately began having the same issue. I dropped the truck off again and again they kept it for several days. They told me a variety of things that was wrong with the truck, including a new transmission, a new valve body, transmission control module etc... They finally said in the end it just needed a new wiring harness, which they ordered and let me drive my vehicle until the part came in. I dropped it off again on 11-16-17. They told me the repair would only take a few hours. I called them at 4:45pm, knowing they close at 5 and was informed they would need my truck again over night. I had a heated conversation with the shop manager and he said my truck would be ready on 11-17-17. I paid for the new harness and picked up my truck. I drove my truck and did not notice any problems until 12-1-17, when I had the vehicle on the interstate and the same issues appeared as I had previously. I am reluctant to return the vehicle to Fox for any further attempts in allowing them to repair the issue as I have been buying parts for their misdiagnoses and having the same issues.
12/3/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 8 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

First of all, you need to take the truck to a real repair shop and maybe the dealer. You need to get the truck properly diagnosed and find out exactly what is wrong. Once you do so and get an estimate for repair, you need to send a letter to Fox and inform them that this was a result of their negligent repair and you demand they pay that amount (adding in for the part you could not return that they said you needed) or you will pursue legal action.

If they refuse to pay you to have the other mechanic make the repairs, then you need to have the repairs made of course and you would be able to sue Fox in court for the negligent workmanship and damage to your vehicle caused by the repairs they made and also for loss of use of the vehicle all that time.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.