Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

In aprox 2000 I hade a vehicle repoed. I haven`t heard any…

Customer Question
In aprox 2000 I...

In aprox 2000 I hade a vehicle repoed. I haven`t heard any thing about it since 2008.Now I recieved a call from a collection agency asking for money. is there a statute of limitations on this or can they still come after me?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

The car was purchased new in 2000 in Washington state when I lived there. I now live in Idaho since 2002.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

I haven`t heard fom them since the car was repoed. some one tried to collect in 2008. they made one call to me and that was it. nothing since.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

DDo I need to pay this or is there a limitation that you can collect on something like this?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/2/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
insearchoftheanswer

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good evening. You need not worry about this. Under either state (Washington: RCW 4.16.040 -- 6 years; and Idaho: Section 5-216-- 5 years), the statute of limitations has run..which gives you an absolute defense. Respond to them by explaining the statute of limitations has run, you do not owe this debt and demand they immediately cease and desist all further efforts to contact you and/or anyone else to collect this debt. Inform them that any efforts to do otherwise will constitute a violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and that you will report each and every violation to the Federal Trade Commission. Each violation carries at least a $1,000 fine. Also let them know that should they file any negative credit report, you will be filing a defamation suit against them for both your actual and punitive damages. In my experience, the fine under the Federal Act and the threat of the defamation should be an end to these collection efforts.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!