Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My neighbor just contracted to have some siding put over her…

Customer Question
My neighbor just contracted to...
My neighbor just contracted to have some siding put over her gazebo she signed the contract for $2300 they did the work it’s kind of shabby they said they were going to use fiberglass but it looks like plastic to me from Home Depot I’m not sure if they have a contractors license I have to ask her what does she have any recourse she’s only paid them $300 so far for the shabby work
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/1/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

When parties negotiate a contract, each side can demand the other perform their respective duties under the contract.

What you are describing, the neighbor had the duty to pay the agreed price, and the contractor had the duty to build the gazebo, as promised.

IF the contractor does not fully perform their duties, as agreed? Then, arguably, they are in breach.

For example, if they promised to use fiberglass as the material, and used plastic? That would be a breach of contract.

Now...your neighbor can, and should, provide the contractor notice, in writing, of their concerns and give the contractor a reasonable amount of time to correct the problem. IF the contractor refuses, your neighbor can hire another contractor to complete the work properly and can then sue the original contractor for any damages they suffer (for any additional money they have to pay)

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

P. Simmons, Lawyer