Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

Does the "lemon law" cover used vehicles that have "as is"

Does the "lemon law"...

Does the "lemon law" cover used vehicles that have "as is" on paperwork even though it is a "certified" used vehicle? Have only owned vehicle less than 2 months.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Wisconsin, 2005 Dodge Dakota

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, hose blew inside radiator and fluid gor into transmission

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Cost to fix $3900

Answered in 1 minute by:
12/1/2017
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Wisconsin, 2005 Dodge Dakota

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Cost to fix $3900

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Unfortunately, the so-called "Lemon Laws" do not cover used vehicles. They are only applicable to vehicles purchased new and under the manufacturer's warranty.

That does not mean you would not have a claim for fraud or breach of contract if you can prove such a claim, but not under the Magnuson Moss Act (Lemon Law).

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you wasting your time and money pursuing an unwinnable claim.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Thank you

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!

Loren, Lawyer
Loren, Lawyer