Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I signed a contract to purchase an rv Saturday afternoon. I…

Customer Question
Hello. I signed a...

Hello. I signed a contract to purchase an rv Saturday afternoon. I am using their financing source through one of their credit union lenders. I have changed my mind with this rv and want to cancel the transaction. They are refusing to work with me on it and I have not even took possession of the rv yet. I was not given copies of the contract when I signed and to this day, 3 business days later, I still don't have copies. Do I have the right to cancel the financing since I wasn't provided any copies or notices of my right to cancel? As if Tuesday, the credit union has not funded it yet but they are telling me they are obligated to fund it when the dealer sends them the contract. I thought under some cunsumer law, I had the right to cancel the financing agreement within 3 business days. How can I get out of this?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the RV?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

The dealer, yes. They are refusing to cancel it.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
11/29/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Do I have the right to cancel the financing since I wasn't provided any copies or notices of my right to cancel?

.

You can refuse to move forward with the contract to purchase, but unless there was a specific right to cancel in the contract (which there never are) there is no 3 day right to cancel under the law for this type of sale. People are under the mistaken impression that any contract can be cancelled within 3 days, but that is not correct and it only applies in very limited situations.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

I understand no 3 day rights for the contract, but doesn't a consumer have the right to cancel the financing with the lender?

If the borrower filled out the proper paperwork to authorize the dealer to obtain financing on their behalf, then it is up to the lender at that time whether or not to fund the loan..

.

With that said, if you contact the lender and demand that they cancel any application before funding, then yes, they would have to cancel it. You would still be on the hook to pay for it by some other means, and the dealer could come after you under a breach of contract claim..

.

You would want to document your cancellation of the loan request immediately via recorded conversation with the lender (disclose you are recording it) and then immediately send out a certified letter saying the same thing so you have additional proof that you cancelled the loan before it was funded.

.

.

thanks