Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I bought a timeshare in Willowbrook, PA. I don't want it any…

Customer Question
I bought a timeshare...

I bought a timeshare in Willowbrook, PA. I don't want it any longer. It is totally paid for. Willowbrook states that for me to get out of this timeshare contract I have to pay them $2500.00. I paid them to buy it why do I have to pay them to cancel the contract?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you thoroughly reviewed the contract?

Yes. It has a preparatory clause which I think is the problem.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Who is the manufacturer for a timeshare.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No Just how do I get out of this contract.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
11/28/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: KnowYourRights, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
KnowYourRights

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. Do you know anyone who will buy it from you or will accept it, as a gift?

no

The $2500 is for you to be released from your financial obligation to the timeshare resort. Even though it is paid in full, you still have maintenance fees and possible assessments, so if you do not want it anymore, you need to consider paying the $2500, for them to take it back. If they take it back, they will not have that income from the interest, so they will have to try and sell it and there is no way of knowing how long it will take. Now, you can make a counter offer and see if they will reduce the price based on a hardship but to be relieved on your obligation to them, $2500 is not unreasonable, although it is high and third parties charge a lot more to try and get you released.

I would like to talk, however I want to have my husband present so he can ask questions also.

Certainly. Just let me know.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!