Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Ive just been scammed for 3500. I was asked to deposit two…

Customer Question
Hi, Ive just been...

Hi, Ive just been scammed for 3500. I was asked to deposit two checks, and send a transfer to a person so that they could send me working software materials for a job training. - I have the persons phone number and have just spoke with her about picking up the funds, and told her that she needs to return them. My bank nor moneygram will help me. Do you have any advise

Lawyer's Assistant: Oh, dear. I'm sure the Fraud Examiner can help you. Is there anything else important you think the Fraud Examiner should know?

Well I have all of the proof, with conversations from this so called HR rep.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/28/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient while I type you a reply.

Hi Zoey, thank you

Unfortunately, you fell for a job scam that is very popular.

Here's how the scam works:

You get an unsolicited out of the blue offer of employment, and it's a work at home position. The salary is very high for the kind of work you are doing, and there's no real interview to speak of. You get the job easily on the strength of your resumé. If you're an adult, you know how to get a real job, and this just isn't the process.

They tell you that they will train you and they send you checks for supplies. They ask you to deposit the check and then send off the money to a specific company accredited vendor.

In reality, there's no real job and there's no vendor either. The checks are counterfeit. The bank must give you access to the funds within 48 hours, because that's Federal law. But it takes longer than that for funds to clear. When the checks bounce, which they invariably will do, since they are counterfeits, it is your own money and/or the bank's money you have sent to the scammer.

Laws in this area protect the bank and not the account holder, so you are liable to your bank for any overdraft.

If you can find out who and where your scammers really are, you could sue them for fraud and get your money back, or get criminal restitution through a prosecution. But nothing about what they told you is real. That means finding them will be a job for law enforcement.

Report the crime to your police and online to the FBI's Internet Crime Complaint Center at www. IC3.gov and the Federal Trade Commission at www.FTC.gov

In that way, if the authorities can't find them, you would be able to write off your losses when you file your 2017 taxes. That's because when you're a crime victim, your unreimbursed losses due to that crime are tax deductible. Even in the worst case scenario, then, you'd be at least able to get something back in the form of a deduction.

Thank you, ***** ***** have the phone number, location & the name for the person who picked up the funds. How can I convince her to refund the money ?

Sorry for the delay, but I am assisting several customers and take follow-ups in turn.

Did you send the money to a particular person in a bank to bank transfer? Did you mail a check? Or did you use a service like Western Union or Moneygram?

If you have the name and location of the person you sent the money to and they do not agree to make good on the bounced checks, you would have to sue him or her in small claims court.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer