Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I invested a huge amount of money in a work from home

Customer Question
I invested a huge...

I invested a huge amount of money in a work from home company called Kreative. This company is located in California. They give you a list of niches to choose from and then they will build you a website while you are asking companies to sell their merchandise. When they get the website built then you place the merchandise on the website. Hopefully, you make a sell you send it to the company that you are selling their products to and they will ship the product to the customer. I have been working with this company since May and they are still not through categorizing my website. The website is up but now they want a monthly fee to place it on google and to pay the marketing company. They have never given me a contract and I didn't know that there was a contract until yesterday. The gentleman insisted that I did receive a contract and I told him I had not. He got on my computer and looked through all of my emails because I have saved every email they have sent me. They ruined my credit by taking out at least 3 credit cards in my name. They are maxed out in order for me to pay for their program. I had a credit rating over 750 and now I am in the low 600's because of the debt ratio. I was told I would be up and running by Christmas but the marketing dept. told me that is not true. It has been one delay after another. Have I gotten scammed? Marketing tells me not to advertise my site because they have not finished categorizing the site and they want it perfect.

Lawyer's Assistant: Oh, dear. I'm sure the Fraud Examiner can help you. Is there anything else important you think the Fraud Examiner should know?

When I first called them I told them I could only afford the $6,000 plan. I thought that was settled. Then they sent me to someone who is suppose to be my coach and her boss. They were very charming and I feel like a fool. He asked for my Social Security number and before I knew it he was on my credit report. I thought he was needing this information for something on the new website they were supposed to build for me. Without saying we have different programs and the benefits that the programs offered at different prices he charged my credit card for $14,000 more and now I have paid $20,000. Yesterday I was checking all my statements and found a charge from them for $130 and I canceled that charge and closed that credit card. The supposed life coach is no longer my coach and I have been assigned to someone else. This is a nightmare because I am very close to bankruptcy.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
11/28/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Do you have a website for this company?

It is kreative.com. There are several Kreative companies but I think this is the one I am using. They are based out of California.

Thank you. Let me see what I can find.

The site you gave me claims to be based in Washington State, but I do not see it listed on the Washington Secretary of STate's website. In California there are many present and former companies using the name of Kreative. I'm unable to tell which one is yours.

Since I can't tell for certain whether you are dealing with a real company or outright scammers, I will give you all of your remedies.

Your remedies start with contacting the company and trying to negotiate a resolution with them. If you cannot get out of this deal and get a refund from them, then you have to take additional steps.

As they have broken their agreement with you and failed to deliver on any of their promises, you can contact a lawyer to write a strong letter to the company, listing the various ways they have breached their agreement with you and misrepresented their services and telling them that if they are not willing to refund your money then you will have no choice but to take them to court and sue them for based on their fraudulent and deceptive trade practices.

You can do this for yourself without a lawyer, though it has more teeth when the letter is on a lawyer's letterhead. A successful suit involving fraudulent and deceptive trade practices would entitle you not only to your monetary losses but to treble damages. A letter mentioning the unfair trade practices law should make any real company think twice and, hopefully, settle up with you. Since you're not hiring the lawyer to do anything other than draft and send a letter, the cost should be minimal.

Meanwhile, you can file complaints with the US consumer protection agencies we have. Go to the Better Business Bureau's site and lodge a consumer complaint against the company. They are at www.BBB.org. As a non-profit organization committed to protecting consumers, the BBB will try to intervene on your behalf and to resolve your problem if they can locate the company and the company is willing to work with them.

File another complaint with your state attorney general's office and with the state attorney general in the US state where the company is located. You want to emphasize that the company has breached its agreement with you and engaged in fraudulent, unfair and deceptive marketing practices.

You can also report them to the Federal Trade Commission at FTC.gov

If all else fails, you would have to hire a consumer rights lawyer to get your money back.

Ultimately, if you are the victim of an outright scam, you would report this company online to the FBI at their Internet Crime Complaint Center at www.IC3.gov and to your police. As the victim of a crime, your unreimbursed losses are tax deductible. So you can get something back in the form of a deduction when you file your 2017 income taxes.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer