Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My car was in the shop for repair and apparently went on…

Customer Question
My car was in the...
My car was in the shop for repair and apparently went on fire?! Shop not claiming any responsibility stating it was nothing to do with the work they had done on it and it was parked outside (but still on their premises). They replaced the fuel pump 2 weeks ago and I had taken it back in to have an oil keak repaired (valve cover gasket). They said they had repaired the oil leak and had parked the car outside of their shop when one of the mechanics noticed a fuel leak (no fuel leak when I took it in). They claim they had decided to work on it after lunch, but when they came back from lunch it was on fire?! I haven’t seen it yet but according to them they said it’s probably totaled. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
11/28/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
I am sorry to hear this under the negligence doctrine of res ipsa loquitor, if a party has exclusive possession of property and that property is damaged and it is impossible to determine how or why, normally the court will require the oarty with the exclusive possession to bear the cost as it would appear that logically it had to be that party's action or inaction as there would be no plausible alternative explanation. For such issued normally replacement cost is the damage permotter as that would restore plaintiff to their prior position.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information