Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I recently signed papers and drove home a new vehicle with a…

Customer Question
Hi. I recently...

Hi. I recently signed papers and drove home a new vehicle with a 3 year lease. 11 days after signing the paperwork, the car dealer informed me that the lender had declined my application for credit, stating that I was using two different SSNs.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

California, new car I'm Canadian and have a Canadian SIN and a US SSN

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Yes, they say I need to work directly with the dealer, even though it's the corporate finance group that is declining to lend the funds

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes. As mentioned, I have a Canadian SIN and a US SSN. I moved to San Jose in June 2013. I bought a house in 2015. Prior to moving to the US, while vacationing in Palm Springs, I applied for and rec'd Macy's and JC Penney credit cards using my Canadian SIN. This is the reason there are two Social Numbers appearing in my credit history. Hopefully this is enough information to get started?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/27/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

What is your question for us about this?

What can I do to have GM Financial revisit their decision and acknowledge that I'm not doing anything fraudulent?

There is little you can do other than send a letter to GM through the dealership to the underwriter with proof that you have a Canadian ID and US SSN and that both are legitimate numbers. These credit determinations though, you need to understand, are solely up to the creditor/lender and if they do not want to issue credit they do not need to do so, thus you need to send a letter with the explanation to GM, but what they do with that is up to them.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Thank you for your response but the way this was handled feels like a money grab. I'll be going elsewhere for assistance.

Thank you for your reply.

Well, thank you so much. I did nothing to you and did not do anything about grabbing money, yet you are taking it out on me. I am sure you can go to a local attorney and pay their hourly rate for assistance in this matter. I am sorry you felt that way for something I had no control over and provided you the proper solution regarding.