Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Can a insurance company cancel your insurance, because of a…

Customer Question
Can a insurance company...

Can a insurance company cancel your insurance, because of a claim for hail damage? Have been with company for over 20 years, paid premiums of $100,300. Received letter to cancel insurance because of hail damage of $50,000 plus. Is it legal for insurance to be cancelled because of an act of God.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?

Colorado, no.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Have not contacted insurance.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
11/27/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Hello, I'm a slow typer. Bear with me just a moment while I post your answer.

Thanks so much for your patience. The only way the insurance company would be authorized to cancel the insurance plan is if there is some authority in the contract that specifically allows them to do so. If there is no stipulation that allows them to do so, then they are in breach of contract.

A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract. It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court. This website is also pretty cool because they have some state-specific breach of contract forms that you can use as well. Click here to choose your state and get started.

What other questions did you have for me?

Hello, it’s been awhile since we connected so I wanted to check in with you to see if you had any further before you rated. If you have any other questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with today. Please reply here and let me know.

Infolawyer, Lawyer