Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I had closed my discover credit card years ago after being…

Customer Question
I had closed my discover...
I had closed my discover credit card years ago after being laid off from my job. I wanted to be proactive in case I didn't find a new job soon enough, so I asked if there was anything that could be done to help with my situation. I was under the impression if I closed my account and worked diligently to pay off my credit card my balance would stop accumulating interest. I don't remember ever making a late payment (it was auto draft) and it seemed as if I wasn't putting a dent in the balance amount due. So I called discover card and they told me my interest rate was 20%...... SO I sent a certified letter requesting the initial agreement, ensure the balance claimed was correct, when my interest rate went so high, etc.
Discover Card Bank acknowledged the receipt of the letter via signing a USPS slip. It has been over a month and they have not sent a letter back yet. (I think they violated some rules and regulations). What should I do at this point? Write them a certified letter explaining "In accordance to my rights in the Truth in lending act/ CARD act/ Consumer financial protection act you have not verified nor validated the debts you claim I owe in a timely manner. I demand you dissolve this account and I am no longer liable for any amount you claim I owe"(im not sure what act protects my rights for this credit card).
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
11/26/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: WiseOwl58, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer

You should ask Discover to waive the interest accumulating and reverse the prior interest and put you on a payment plan to pay off the balance, because of your eonomic situaiton and loss of your job. Discover would rather do this than allow your card to go into default and collection. Also, if you call them, they should be able to tell you what the interest rate has been running, and then you can make your request for them to reverse the interest and start you on a payment plan to pay off this debt.

Please rate the answer by clicking on 4 or 5 stars and close out the question.

A bonus is very much appreciated after you rate the answer.

Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

to ensure I'm understanding correctly are you saying discover card will reverse the amount I paid on the interest portion due to the fact they did not respond to my letter requesting that the debt amount they claim I owe is valid? I feel like they broke rules under the TILA and that is why they didn't reply to the letter I sent them..... I was under the impression if they fail to prove I owe the amount they claim I'm no longer liable.

Correct. Contact them and get your balance reduced pronto.

Both parties would be treated equally by the press and both parties would recieve the press submitted questions at the same time. Also, you don't have to answer them if you do not wish, since the press is not a party to the litigation.

Please click on 4 or 5 stars to rate the answer and close out the question.

A bonus is most appreciated after you rate the answer.

Press? I don't know who the press is, what questions your referring to, and what do I not need to answer? (I'm sorry I don't know much about this stuff)
Sorry for the confusion yes Discover card will reverse the interest off of your balance and I suggest you call them and request them to do this pronto.Please rate for or 5 and close out the question now thank you
Please accept the phone call option then we will be connected on the phone not computer
Awesome! With the sky high interest rates they have been charging me I wil have more than paid off my card in full. I look forward to giving to an outstanding review. Last question, is the a case number ***** a section in the CARD act that I may refer to when I tell them because they didn't do their job in a timely fashion they must reverse the interest rates they have charged me in the past?
No just call them you don't have to cite any legal code section they will understand and it's in their standard operating procedures to do this.Now please click on four or five stars to write the answer and close out the question thank you and best of luck
Consumer Protection Lawyer: WiseOwl58, Lawyer replied 4 months ago

Checking in again to see if you are satisfied with your answer or if there is anything else I can do to help.

WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer