Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

How can I find out if my account was affected? I'M in

Customer Question
How can I find...

How can I find out if my account was affected?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?

I'M in Arizona and no attorney is involved

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Ths concerns the Equifax breach and not a product

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. I just want to know if my account was affected

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
11/25/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: KLAW, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer
Good morning.
I am a legal expert attorney who will assist you today
First you want to find out if your personal information was compromised in the Equifax breach. There are steps to take to help protect your information from being misused. Visit Equifax’s website, www.equifaxsecurity2017.com.Here are some other steps to take to help protect yourself after a data breach:Check your credit reports from Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion — for free — by visiting annualcreditreport.com. Accounts or activity that you don’t recognize could indicate identity theft. Visit IdentityTheft.gov to find out what to do.
Consider placing a credit freeze on your files. A credit freeze makes it harder for someone to open a new account in your name. Keep in mind that a credit freeze won’t prevent a thief from making charges to your existing accounts.
Also, monitor your existing credit card and bank accounts closely for charges you don’t recognize.
If you decide against a credit freeze, consider placing a fraud alert on your files. A fraud alert warns creditors that you may be an identity theft victim and that they should verify that anyone seeking credit in your name really is you.I hope this clarifies. Please don’t forget to rate the question with stars so that I will receive credit and payment for assisting you with your question.