Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

If am being sued by a credit card company and they are

Thank you. If...

Thank you. If am being sued by a credit card company and they are saying in a a letter that i will be sent to default judgement, is it best to respond asap?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

NY

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, but i got letters from lawyers offering their help because of this situation.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The debt consolidation company i've been dealing with tells me to send all letters to them and they will connect me with legal advisor that they have. can the debt consolidation company defend me?

11/24/2017
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Thank you, ***** ***** can wait.

By all means file an answer, see if debt company will do so if not you can dispute it.

If you got a Summons with Notice, but no Complaint, you must send the plaintiff a Notice of Appearance and Demand for a Complaint form. When you do this, the plaintiff has 20 days to send you a Complaint. Check with your court for a form. See sample Notice of Appearance forms: Sample 1, Sample 2.

Self help

https://www.nycourts.gov/courthelp/MoneyProblems/answer.shtml

File this asap to prevent default judgment.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Thank you. I got letters from attorneys saying they know I'm being sued and they want to help me. One card sent me letter saying they are transferring my case to a company and are my case is no longer a part of this given credit card. Considering this new information, does all you said prior, still apply follow Sample 1 and Sample 2 on the website you advised?
Also, do you know of cases when the debt settlement company was able to work out the law suit?
Finally, are you aware or is there a place in New York City, where i can get fee legal help?
Thank you again, Ryan!

You haven't been sued until you are served.These are debt collectors that know you have debts here.

Here are several places that can help you

https://www.justia.com/lawyers/bankruptcy-and-debt/new-york/new-york-city/legal-aid-and-pro-bono-services

Thanks again and the best here.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Thank you very much, Ray!!!
Good afternoon Ray,
Thank you again for your help. I still have a question about debt consolidation company service. Are they able to protect me all the way even to work out fees if it comes to me being sued and having to go to court?

No they usually promise more than they can deliver.They will not represent you in court.They try to get them to compromise the debts, but some won't do this.

Thank you very much!

Happy Holidays talk to you again soon.

Thank you. Happy Holidays to you, as well!

Bye for now.