Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Do you know anything about auto ins fraud. I was in a car…

Customer Question
Do you know anything...

Do you know anything about auto ins fraud

Lawyer's Assistant: The Fraud Examiner will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Fraud Examiner can help you best.

I was in a car accident about 7 months ago and just found out there was 15k for injuries paid out. Aparently the guy had a pre-existing back condition the was "triggered" by the accident. he was driving a chvy suburban and I was in a nissan altima. We were going 30 mph and i was sevral car lengths behind him and he slammed on his breaks at a green light and from what I could tell there were no cars infront of him. His car got a scratch and a small ding on the bumper but mine was totaled due to the year and cost of repair. I had no injuries and I also have a pre-existing neck condition in the spine but it was not "triggered" by the accident. I was deemed at fault which I think is also inaccurate but I'm more consirned with the fact of the fraud on the injury.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is there anything else the Fraud Examiner should be aware of?

The driver got out of the car we exchanged info. he was walking and moving just fine. he left before I could call the police so I didn't then he returned for a couple min to take a pic of my car then left again. he was bending over to take the photos and did not seem to exibit any sign of injury

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/23/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: WiseOwl58, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer

It is a sad fact, but whichever car is in the rear is deemed "at fault" regardless of what the car in front of you or several in front of you may have done. Here, what you describe is a "rear ender" and the car behind is always at fault. Sad but true.

The same thing happened to me. And the driver in front claimed injury. I filed an appeal with the state insurance commission, which is what I suggest you do, and also file an appeal of your insurance company's underwriing decision to pay his medical bills, when the other driver really was not injured.

I think they will reverse their decision and your rates will go back down, which is the real issue here.

Please rate 4 or 5 stars and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer