Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I live in Billings, MT. A year ago, I ordered flooring for…

I live in Billings...

I live in Billings, MT. A year ago, I ordered flooring for my house from a local store amounting to approx. $1500. The flooring was never delivered or installed. Numerous attempts have been made to have my money refunded, and have been met with excuses about why he cannot refund now, or just not returning my calls. Recently, I learned the business owner is installing the new flooring in a large commercial addition to a local health center(as a subcontractor.) My question is, can I file a lien with the contractor against the money to be paid to the flooring guy?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?

This is Montana. The purchase was made in October of 2015.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

The manufacturer (s) of the flooring ? No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I haven't taken legal action against the business owner yet, because he claimed he was near bankruptcy and didn't have the money to repay me. However, now I see he has this big contract, and there should be money forthcoming.

11/22/2017
Andrew
Andrew, Lawyer

Hello I am a licensed practicing attorney with 20 years’ experience hopefully I can help with your problem. Please give me a moment to review and respond to your question.

ok. thanks

Unfortunately no it does not work like that. What you could do however is take him to small claims court get a judgment against him and then if he still refused to pay file a garnishment with the general contractor for the money owed to the business. A problem you might run into is that your original contract for purchase of flooring may have been with the business not the individual. If this is the case you only be able to collect on assets that the business had. If this is your situation I would sue the business for breach of contract and the individual for fraud.

Did you have any other questions? If not please don't forget to rate me. 5 stars is appreciated. Thanks!

Andrew
Andrew, Lawyer
Thank you. I think that answers my question.
Andrew
Andrew
Andrew, Lawyer