Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

We had floors installed by Great Floors of Bellevue. They…

Customer Question
We had floors installed...

We had floors installed by Great Floors of Bellevue. They were done incorrectly. They did not take responsibility until we contested the charges for the materials. They then blamed us for the issues calling us scammers and having buyer's remorse. Our credit card company found in our favor after we outlined all the issues with this company. They now want to charge us to keep the floors and are threatening legal action to collect. After 7 months of threats and with floors that we have to rip up and re-do, we are wondering what we can do to resolve this issue and not let this happen to other folks. Great floors I noticed, has an F rating from the BBB.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

WA. The issue began in Dec 2016.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Yes. Whole other issue with Shaw. they claim the floors are a glue down. they really are not. They sent an inspector and blamed the installers. The installers said they never would have installed as a glue down but they were told to do so by their boss at Great Floors. Everyone is pointing fingers.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have a detailed timeline for them if they are interested. They company is demanding over $2k for floors i have to rip up, or they will come and rip them up for free. We are not ready to move forward and we do NOT want them in our house do to the way we have been treated.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/22/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear you are having remodeling issues; can you tell me if you have third party professional estimates as to the cost to replace according to the original contract?

Also were the installers hired by the flooring company?

Thank you. I look forward to your response. Let me know if you need a full history of events..

Were you able to review my inquiry? If not I'll repost -

can you tell me if you have third party professional estimates as to the cost to replace according to the original contract?

Hi. Yes the cost estimates to replace the floors ranged from 1500-4200. The original total cost for the floors was 3483.89.
Great Floors hired their own contractors. The contractors came and started to click the floor together. My wife stopped them and told them we ordered a glue down and that our product (Luxury vinyl from Shaw) was capable of a glue down application. The installers claimed that it was not a glue down and that we would have to pick a different material. Jim, their boss, from Great Floors over-road their suggestion and had them come back the following day to glue. The floor, the follwing day, popped everywhere as the glue did not stick.
Here is a detailed timeline: We contested the charges and actually won.
We selected a glue down floor from Great Floors in Bellevue on December 1, 2016 from a salesman. We requested a glue down vinyl and the salesman approved a type of flooring we found, and we set the date of install two weeks prior to Christmas. It was postponed twice including one no-show due to their scheduling issues. Upon the day of installation, we noticed they were not gluing the floor down per what we paid for, rather snapping it together. We reminded them it was a glue down installation per our contract. The installer informed us that the material was not capable of a glue down and we would have to select a different material. My wife was upset because she had spent months trying to find the perfect floor for our kitchen remodel. He called Jim, the manager at Greatfloors who allegedly spoke with someone at the Shaw organization. We were told by Jim and Anthony that the floor could be a glue down in commercial applications. The installer with this information still cautioned us and warned that in his opinion it would not work due to the texture of the service of the material. He was told by Jim to buy a specific glue and proceed in the glue down. They had to reschedule for the following day.2 days after the install, we heard popping noises on most of the floor surface in over 50 places. A few days after installation we received a call from the salesman asking for payment, he did not even ask us how the installation went and if we were satisfied with our floors. He wanted us to pay the full amount for the installed floor and when we said that we objected to this because of the popping noises we wanted investigated, he asked that we pay regardless--so he could receive his bonus, and they would look into the issue in the new year. I reminded him that our agreement was for full payment once the floor was installed correctly and completed. About a week later we received a call from the install manager from Greatfloors who said he would need to contact the manufacturer. The manufacturer was to schedule an inspection for 3 weeks later.3 weeks later the inspector arrived. He stated that more than likely he would find it was the installers error, as he was hired by the manufacturer Shaw. Sure enough, 2 more weeks after the report (We are now 5+ weeks with a popping floor still not complete) the report came back that it was an installation issue. We did not hear from Great Floors and when we called to inquire about what they would do Jim the manager did not know about the inspection or the report. After finding the report Jim stated it was the installer’s fault and he’ll have to fix it. We contact the installer who came out and tells us there is no way to fix it but to rip it out and use another material. He said he could also try to reset the current glue buy heating our house to 90+ degrees and putting weight on the floors. This was not worth the electricity according to my contractor as the glue had set improperly due to the faulty install. I hired a contractor and inspector to look at the floor installation during the install and after. Both agreed the product was not a glue down application due to the back smooth surface.I left several messages at Great Floors over the subsequent weeks asking for next steps and no one returned my calls. It appeared to us that Great floors was not going to take responsibility or help us fix the problem. What’s worse is the Shaw lifetime warranty for the floor is now invalid due to the improper install. My wife and I at that time had been under construction for over 4 months in the kitchen remodel unable to finish installing our kitchen cabinets or add trim due to the flooring issues not being resolved. We had to delay our other contractors from being able to complete their carpentry and finishing work. Great Floors appeared comfortable leaving us in this state and did not return our calls. I contested the charges because we did not receive a finished floor per our contract and the materials are going to have to be scrapped as a result. In addition, we have had considerable losses in time and money, over 9 months of this having to reschedule contractors, re-prioritize the remodel, let alone living in an unfinished kitchen. When Jim received the notice that the charges were contested he filed a rebuttal stating that the issue was only that the customer did not like the esthetics of the floor. When we received this assertation we were very upset and called Jim, he claimed that he had to file that rebuttal the day he received the chargeback and did not look into the specifics. He said that they could send out an investigator and we reminded him about the Shaw investigation that had already been conducted and the report which stated that the issue was installation error.Jim then sent a second contractor to examine whether injecting specific places in the floor would improve the issues.

Thank you;

when a company fails to comply with the terms of the contract- either by installing substandard or defective material, or by defective installation, the company can be sued for damages under 3 theories:

1. negligence-Negligence is defined as a failure to perform with the level of care that someone of ordinary prudence would have exercised under the same circumstances. The behavior usually consists of actions, but may consist of omissions when there is some duty to act. This cause of action has 5 elements: the existence of a legal duty to exercise reasonable care; a failure to exercise reasonable care; harm caused by the negligent conduct; physical harm of actual damages; and proximate cause (reasonably foreseeable damages).

2. breach of contract - failing to comply with the terms of the contract; damages vary based on material and immaterial breaches. A material breach is one that goes to the very heart of the matter; so for example if the contract is for floors and the floors are defective (popping up, warping etc) the general remedy is for the contractor to reinstall or if those attempts have been unsuccessful then to hire a third party professional and suing for the cost. It is most prudent to first seek a judgment based on professional estimates so the homeowner knows exactly what they are working with.

3. misrepresentation. Misrepresentation is when a party does the following: (1) a representation was made; (2) that was false; (3) that when made, the representation was known to be false or made recklessly without knowledge of its truth; (4) that it was made with the intention that the plaintiff rely on it; (5) that the plaintiff did rely on it; and (6) that the plaintiff suffered damages as a result.

The idea is to make plaintiff whole-to restore the plaintiff to the position s/he would have been in but for the defect; to give the benefit of the bargain to the plaintiff -ie for the plaintiff to have the floors contracted for, for the price paid.

Small claims is appropriate for cases under $5,000:

http://www.atg.wa.gov/small-claims-court-0

If the contractor/dealer misrepresented the quality of the goods/services sold that is a violation of the unfair and deceptive business practices act:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=19.86

If violated there may be, in addition to actual damages, a $1,000 fine and an award of attorney fees:

https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=19.182.150

Sample template complaint letter provided by the FTC:

[Your address]
[Your city, state, zip code]

[Today’s date]

[Name of contact person (if available)]
[Title (if available)]
[Company name]
[Consumer Complaint Division (if there is no contact person)]
[Street address]
[City, state, zip code]

Re: [Account number or other reference to your complaint]

Dear [Contact Person]:

This letter is to [notify you {or} follow up on our conversation of {date}] about a problem I am having with the [name of product or service performed] that I [bought, leased, rented or had repaired] at your [name of location] location on [date].

I am dissatisfied with your [service or product] because [describe problem]. I have already attempted to resolve this problem by [describe attempts and actions taken]. I have enclosed copies of my records. [Include copies of receipts, canceled checks, contracts, and other relevant documents]

Unfortunately, the problem remains unresolved. I am hereby requesting that you: [List specific actions you want (such as: refund, exchange or repair the item)]

1)

2)

3)

Please contact me within [number of days] days to confirm that you will honor my request.
Thank you for your anticipated assistance in resolving my problem. Please contact me at [telephone number and/or e-mail address] if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

[Your signature]

[Your name]

Enclosure(s): [List attached document copies]

cc: [Name(s) of anyone to whom you are sending a copy of this letter]

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Consumer Protection Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 4 months ago

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here:

LegalGems
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer