Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I am a retail worker working in a supermarket as a cashier.

Hello, i am a retail...
Hello, i am a retail worker working in a supermarket as a cashier. Today, I accidentally make a mistake. After telling customers their bill amount, they want to pay by card, but I accidentally pressed the wrong button, I pressed that they paid in full amount cash instead. Then i put them through "cash out" so they can pay that amount by card. I'm not sure if that is ok, my manager was no where to be found during that time so i needed to act quick. I know what i did was not right but I don't know if it will leave any effect.
11/22/2017
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good morning,

This isn't so much a consumer protection question because it's going to be impossible for any expert to answer you with 100% certainty without having an understanding of how your employer's systems are set up. My previous experience in retail suggests to me that what could happen with this because you accidentally made it look like a cash transaction and then they ran their card is that your cash drawer could appear to be "off" by the amount of their purchase, and your credit card transactions will be over by that same amount.

Not likely a huge deal (more of a paperwork problem for the employer is likely) to reconcile the two. You definitely want to let your manager know what happened though, just in case -because you wouldn't want it to appear when they count your drawer at the end of your shift as if you are actually short money when you're not.

Thank you so much for your answer Robert. Do you know what documents will I need if I present this to the manager? Like the original receipt and the cash out receipt?

Having done something like this once years ago, I imagine that everything you are doing has a paper trail. If you have a credit card receipt though, that would likely be easier for your employer, since it could show them date/time of the transaction and exactly when it happened.

Now, it's been years since I worked retail and cash registers have gotten a lot smarter since the late 90s I'm sure-so none of this may even be an issue, it may all just total out the same -but just to cover yourself, I'd still let the manager know what happened.

RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Was there anything I could clarify for you or additional information you needed about this question? If so, please reply without rating, and I'm happy to assist you further. Your complete satisfaction is my goal.

If not, please remember to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars at the top of the page. Experts like myself are not employees of this site. We receive no salary and no payment until a customer leaves a positive rating. Thank you.