Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

I have been Consumer Protection Bureau, Richmond Virginia.

Customer Question
I have been Consumer Protection...
I have been Consumer Protection Bureau, Richmond Virginia
JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: This is in the State of Virginia
JA: Have you contacted the manufacturer?
Customer: No. They state that i have won a sweepstake and I pay 6500
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: They say they are attached to the Department of Federal Trade Commission. I want to know whether this organisation is really working for Federal Trade Commission or not.
Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
11/21/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 22 days ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

I am sorry to say that this is a scam. While there is such a federal department, it is in no way attached to any sweepstakes or lotteries. However, scammers often impersonate them, or state agencies (or both) in their scams to get your money. This is called a GOVERNMENT IMPOSTOR SCAM. See here:

www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0048-government-imposter-scams

This is not real. Do not send them any money!

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved rudeness or wrong information. Please be kind!

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Ely, Counselor at Law