Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My wife is paying on a student loan & they don't have any of…

Customer Question
My wife is paying...

My wife is paying on a student loan & they don't have any of the paper work on her contract. Does she have any recourse on this or should she let it go and get out of it as soon as she can?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?

No one is helping her yet. We live in Arlington, Taxas. What should she do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Thanks, ***** ***** Thankyou!

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Your going to connect me?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/21/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks so much for your patience. Generally, if someone is going to be collecting on a debt, then they should be providing some written notice of the validity of that debt. One of the things you can do is you can send your request for debt validation.

The collector's debt validation notice to you should be made in writing. It should include the following:

• amount of the debt
  • the name of the creditor
  • the assumption that the debt will be valid unless you dispute it within 30 days
  • notification that you can request verification of the debt within 30 days
  • notification that you can request the name and address of the original creditor within 30 days

If it's been beyond 30 days, you should probably request it anyway. The FDCPA entitles you as a consumer to validate a debt when a collection agency demands money from you. If a collection agency can’t validate the debt, the credit bureau cannot list it as a negative mark on your credit report. What other questions did you have for me?