Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

I want to sue Duane Reade - Inwood Manhattan location in NYC

small claims court. What address...
I want to sue Duane Reade - Inwood Manhattan location in NYC small claims court. What address do I use in the NYC small claims court form?. I did look up the https://www.dos.ny.gov/corps/bus_entity_search.html but it seems like the registered agent is in Albany. Since, I live in Manhattan and this incident took place in Manhattan but the registered agent is in Albany for Duane Reade Inc...What should I fill in the address field. Thank you!
11/21/2017
Thomas Swartz

Hello Brinsley,

To commence a small claims lawsuit in New York City, you must bring the lawsuit in the NYC county in which the defendant is either a resident or where the defendant has a business address. So, since the Duane Reade has a business address in Manhattan, it would be perfectly fine for you to use the business address of the Duane Reade's store in Inwood Manhattan if you want to bring the action in Manhattan small claims court.

Duane Reade's registered agent address in Albany would be where Duane Reade "resides" in New York. But it is fine to bring the small claims court action in Manhattan where it has a business address.

Thomas

Thomas Swartz
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Thank you for your response. Also, should I write the business name as Walgreens or Duane Reade. Would this be the correct format. I'm filing the case online via turbocourtWalgreens/Duane ReadeStore #14499
133-141 DYCKMAN ST
New York, NY 10040
212–567–1282Thank you!
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Are you there?

I would use the name that is actually on the store itself. They are the same company. But using the name on the actual store itself is probably best.

Thomas

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Thank you!!!

You are welcome.

Thomas

Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Lawyer