Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I signed for a new car in Oklahoma but did not take delivery…

Customer Question
I signed for a new...
I signed for a new car in Oklahoma but did not take delivery of the car and did not put down any cash. Am I obligated to still accept the car?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
11/21/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Unless the contract has a right of rescission in it, it was binding the instant you signed it agreeing to purchase the car. If you haven't taken physical delivery, that wouldn't mean that the contract isn't enforceable..

.

With that said, you could breach the contract and see if the dealer tried to take any legal action against you. But if you have paid nothing to them, they may not want to have to pay an attorney a few thousand up front to sue you in court under a breach of contract claim...

.

It is possible though..

.

.

thanks

Consumer Protection Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 7 months ago

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

I have no idea what's in the contract honestly. They didn't give me a copy to take with me and had me sign a few documents that didn't have the vehicle's information on it at the time. The vehicle they had to get from out of state. I just feel like they were not being honest with the way they handled business and am wondering I am in the wrong for signing. Also, I was intending on trading in my old truck. I gave them the keys and they let me drive home a loaner(different than the truck I was trying to purchase). I did end up purchasing from a different dealer. They are trying to take the loaner back to the original dealer and the original dealer is refusing to trade keys without me present. I am out of state and soon to be out of country several weeks and a bit lost with the situation.

If they have your old truck as a partial down payment, then you may be kind of stuck here... If you signed the contract, even if you had second thoughts later, you are legally bound under the contract for the purchase. Now they can't really do anything with your truck if you didn't sign over the title, and you could just drop off the car and demand the return of your truck or call the police and claim that they are withholding your personal property.

.

But they aren't under any legal obligation to deal with anyone else but you..

.

However, if you didn't sign anything with a specific vehicle identified by VIN number, then you didn't enter into a legally binding contract. Although I can't imagine someone buying a vehicle and not demanding copies of the contract that they signed...

I was definitely in the wrong for not getting a copy of all of the papers. They sound willing to trade vehicles with me and don't consider it a down payment as they were going to give me cash toward the new vehicle. I did not give them the title

Then I would demand that they surrender your keys in an exchange with them for the loaner at the same time. I wouldn't let their keys out of my hand before I had mine back..

Hello again,

.

.

.

.

Thanks much

I haven’t heard anything further from the original dealership l I was working with. Apparently the dealership I actually got the truck from worked things out for me. All is well. Thanks!

Great to hear!... Always nice when things work themselves out behind the scenes..

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Have a great evening!

Hello again,

.

.

.

.

Thanks much