Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My 15 year old grandson "TB" tried to open a checking

My 15 year old...

My 15 year old grandson "TB" tried to open a checking account. His credit is blocked. The bank stated TB's father had previously opened a joint account in the grandson's name and overdrew the account by almost $5,000. What are TB's options to restore his credit and immunize himself against his father's actions?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

Virginia. The attempt to open the account happened yesterday. The issue began approximately 2013 - 2014 when TB would have been approximately 11 or 12.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet. We are gathering SSN card and Birth Certificate to take to the actual bank in question next week.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The parents are divorced and the Mother has sole custody of TB.

11/19/2017

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

TB will have to have a criminal fraud complaint made, since it is illegal for him to have used his son's SSN to open any accounts. This is identity theft, so you need to help your grandson and contact the bank's fraud division and report this as identity theft and fraud and also contact the local police to report identity theft. That would be the only way to clear out the block which occurred due to fraud.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.