Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have a question about my taxes. Several years agoI had…

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question about my taxes. Several years agoI had $40,000 of pre-taxed money that I invested that was stolen by people in the company I was investing it with. The thieves were charged and sent to jail. What is my legal standing regarding this situation? I have lost that money and never recovered any of it.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I am now in Texas, but at the time of the theft, I was living in Ohio.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I've been in touch with Federal agents who oversaw the situation, and they are the ones who got the thief sent to jail.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just want to know what my legal status is. I don't want to end up having to pay taxes on money I never got or recovered.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
I really don't have any more information to send you. I just want to know what obligation I have, and since I will never recover any of that money, I certainly am an innocent victim of a crime. My Uncle Sam was robbed at the same time that I was! Why would he think I now have any funds available to go back, pay taxes on money I never had?
I feel sorry for myself and sorry for my country too. At least my country put the guy in jail, but I guess he ended up feeding, sheltering and caring for the thief for however long his sentence was.
11/19/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law replied 8 months ago
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law

Hello. My name is Alex.

Thank you for your question.

I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Are you asking whether a person under similar situation would have to pay taxes on the $40,000 that were stolen?

Why is this issue coming up several years after it took place?

Please provide me with more details.

Thank you.