Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

How do I file a complaint about, being overcharged for my…

Customer Question
Hi. How do...

Hi. How do I file a complaint about, being overcharged for my car repair? I think an Auto Repair shop owner overcharged deliberately! I was taken in by surprise. Jin Lee

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

The state I live in is Minnesota. My car is 2008, Saturn Aura.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

No, I haven't. It's manufacturer General Motors, stop making Saturn in 2009.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Basically, I have heard other complaints, about car repair shops overcharging issues. It was beyond my normal expectation, that that shop owner overcharged me. I started going to that Auto shop in 2013. Jin Lee

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/18/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
You have a few options. Let me outline them. You can pursue a complaint in civil court. You may sue for losses suffered plus costs and interest. You can also file a complaint with the attorney general office. You can threaten these options before pursuing and use for leverage. local counsel can also get involved! A lawyer letter alone can often bring about a settlement as the other side realizes that you are serious and gets concerned about its risk and legal fees.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!If you sue in court you may end up with a judgment. The judgment generally allows you to levy on bank accounts, lien real estate and work with the sheriff office civil enforcement division. Many lawsuits result in settlement - which expect the judge to encourage. You stand to recover not only your actual losses (compensatory damages) but also interest, costs and legal fees. on occasion special damages (punitive damages) are also available.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
What is actually involved is, how much I think the owner of the shop overcharged me on fixing my car. Is it worth it? The charge amount is $821. What I think the amount should be anywhere in between $250 to $400? It's a matter of $400 to $500 difference somewhere, I think. That would be my rough guess. In most cases a consumer intuitively realized the shop owner overcharged for the repair. I need to find out from other shops what they charge for the same repair in this case. Jin Lee
Small claims court or attorney general good options with focus on settling.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Awaiting your reply, thank you!