Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Just had my water heater fail. It has a twelve year warranty…

Customer Question
Just had my water...

Just had my water heater fail. It has a twelve year warranty and Sear warranty department says that can't replace it unless I provide the receipt. I don't have that and they said their records only go back seven years. Funny how they require customers to keep records for twelve years but they don't do the same. Any recourse?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

San Diego, California

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Yes, even had the technician confirm it needs replaced and I paid him for his visit.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The reason they asked for receipt is to confirm the purchase date of the original and that if it was a replacement heater from the time of the original purchase, it was not covered. Another interesting moment for me. It seems that the method of installation is what is being warrantied and not the product. Feels like they are just trying to get out of warrantying their product. Thanks. Damon

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
11/18/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Honestly, you are kind of stuck here... No one... and I mean no one... ever keeps records like this in their house files unless they are incredibly organized or in the military.. So they know that consumers aren't going to keep those records so they can get out of the warranty effectively.. They will honor the warranty...provided you can prove you purchased it and you have the receipt and you are the initial owner (as they generally don't transfer to a subsequent purchaser)

.

So yes, it is something of a clever legal step to allow them to avoid warranty coverage for probably 95% of customers.. But it is legal.

.

However, I think that they have online registrations now that are kept indefinitely, so it shouldn't be as much of an issue in the future... if that provides any consolation..

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks

Barriser

Thanks, ***** ***** warranty have to say "transferable" if that is the case, or can they spring that one on you to?

Yes, they have to specifically state that they are transferrable or they only apply to the original purchaser.. They ding you there too normally unless the terms and conditions specifically say they are.

Consumer Protection Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 7 months ago

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much