Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I was wondering how do I go by sueinh someone that owes me…

Customer Question
Hi I was wondering how...
Hi I was wondering how do I go by sueinh someone that owes me
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
My mother n law put me and my kids stuff out. Without giving me/us a 30 notice. My kids name was on lease. Not mines but I had a signed affidavit saying I live there. I want all my no eh back from pain and suffering and me and my kids belongings
11/18/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Bill Attorney, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank You for posting your landlord tenant law question today.

I'm attorney Bill offering assistance and support in relation to your illegal eviction.

A landlord is required to abide by the statutory notices and lease terms of your lease.

In case of a self-help and/or illegal eviction without the landlord serving the proper notice and going through the court to obtain possession , you can sue the landlord in the district court.

You can sue for costs of the eviction, temporary accommodation , emotional distress and damages from the illegal eviction.

This is set out in Maryland statute:

"

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, a landlord may not take possession or threaten to take possession of a dwelling unit from a tenant or tenant holding over by locking the tenant out or any other action, including willful diminution of services to the tenant.

(2) A landlord may take possession of a dwelling unit from a tenant or tenant holding over only:

(i) In accordance with a warrant of restitution issued by a court and executed by a sheriff or constable; or

(ii) If the tenant has abandoned or surrendered possession of the dwelling unit.

(c) (1) If in any proceeding the court finds in favor of the tenant because the landlord violated subsection (b) of this section, the tenant may recover:

(i) Actual damages; and

(ii) Reasonable attorney’s fees and costs.

(2) The remedies set forth in this subsection are not exclusive.

(d) This section may not be construed to prevent a landlord from taking temporary measures, including changing the locks, to secure an unsecured residential property, if the landlord makes good faith attempts to provide reasonable notice to the tenant that the tenant may promptly be restored to possession of the property."

Employing an attorney would be the best way to approach an illegal eviction lawsuit and tenant rights groups and advocates in Maryland are usefully helpful in directing you towards legal resources in this type of case.

We are here to help.

Please follow up with me if you require further assistance.

In return I appreciate when you leave a positive rating.

I'm an independent legal expert and rely on a positive rating to get a credit for my answer.

SO I hope you rate FIVE STARS before exiting today.

Thank You

Attorney Bill

Is it the same in woodbridge VA?

Yes, In Virginia a court may award damages, court costs and attorney's fees for an illegal eviction.

You apply to the district court and the court can order the landlord to put you back into possession of the property.

Here is the relevant statute:

"

55-248.26. Tenant's remedies for landlord's unlawful ouster, exclusion or diminution of service.

If the landlord unlawfully removes or excludes the tenant from the premises or willfully diminishes services to the tenant by interrupting or causing the interruption of gas, water, or other essential service to the tenant, the tenant may obtain an order from a general district court to recover possession, require the landlord to resume any such interrupted utility service, or terminate the rental agreement and, in any case, recover the actual damages sustained by him and a reasonable attorney fee. If the rental agreement is terminated the landlord shall return all of the security deposit in accordance with § 55-248.15:1."

We are here to help.

Thank You

Attorney Bill

Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer