Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have a rental property, the boiler stopped working. I

Customer Question
I have a rental...

I have a rental property, the boiler stopped working. I called my oil company to check it. The oil company didn’t notice me at all. They replaced a lot of parts. After a several days later, they emailed me a over nine hundred dollars bill. What should I do? Thank you!

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?

Connecticut

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don’t want to pay. Because if I know it costed over nine hundred, I would like to install a new one. The new one costs me around $4500. I am a real estate investor, I have boiler replacement a lot . Thank you!

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/18/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: WiseOwl58, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer

Under Connecticut law, you are not obligated to pay that bill, because you did not authorize the work and they did not give you a written estimate of the work required.

I suggest that you file a complaint against them with the CT contractors licensing board. They can resolve the matter in your favor at no cost to you.

Here is the link to file the complaint:

http://www.ct.gov/dcp/lib/dcp/pdf/forms/consumer_statement_cpfr-2_frauds-15-12-23.pdf

Please rate 4 or 5 stars and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.