Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I got out am abusive relationship and I ownd him my car and…

Customer Question
I got out am...

I got out am abusive relationship and I ownd him my car and his sis.i left him and they won't give me my car back. I can't even report it stolen

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

I lend him my car

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Tx

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Manufacter?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
11/17/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Unfortunately, the criminal justice system is not going to be able to help you. The reason is that when you voluntarily give someone your property it is not considered a crime (theft) if they refuse to return it. It is a civil matter.

Assuming you cannot find it parked on a street somewhere and just drive it away, you will need to file a petition, in the county where the ex lives, requesting a the court issue a writ of replevin.

That is a petition where you ask a judge to restore possession to you of your property being held by someone else. The order to restore possession is under threat of being held in contempt. The court also has discretion to order money damages for the loss of use.

While it is possible to proceed pro se, equitable remedies can get complicated and an attorney is recommended.

If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are all peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!