Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have a contract with Anytime Fitness which is to expire…

Customer Question
Hello. I have a...

Hello. I have a contract with Anytime Fitness which is to expire 9/13/18. My husband and I are paying $53.98 per month and have only been to the gym 2 times since signing up in 2016. Of course I know that is our decision and our fault for not using the facilities we're paying for, but I would like to get out of the contract and am willing to pay an early termination fee to do so. After emailing the Club Owner what the process would be to cancel, I was told we would have to pay the balance of the remaining term to cancel which is roughly $540. Do you have any suggestions on how I can terminate and pay less than that?

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

When Just Answer is ready? Or me?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?

No one is helping with this. I just stumbled across another inquiry on the website about Anytime Fitness. I'm in UT, and I think I might be SOL...

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

I contacted the local Anytime Fitness club owner.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I'm aware of.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
11/17/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

To be very honest with you, you are kind of stuck here.. Unless the written contract has an early termination clause that gives you an "out" by paying some type of termination fee, you are locked in for the duration. Gym memberships typically only have a 3 day right of rescission under state law, after that you are legally bound to the contract for the duration.

.

About your only option, although not a good one, is to just stop paying and block any auto debits to any accounts linked to the membership and see if they actually take any action. For something this small, they aren't going to hire an attorney to sue you, and if they aren't a subscription member to the credit agencies, they can't report this on your credit. So probably the worst they will do is turn this over to debt collectors who will bug you about the debt..

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Lawyer