Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I bought a used car about 3 weeks ago from a used car

Customer Question
I bought a used...

I bought a used car about 3 weeks ago from a used car dealership, a 2013 Mini Cooper Cooperman with about $36,000 miles on it. Within that 1st week I brought it to a Mini Cooper service dealership for servicing and basic inspection. I was told that the timing chain was stretched and the tensioner had to be replaced. With that plus the servicing it came to a $3000.00 bill because of the length of time to do the job. I called the used car dealership and they told me to bring it in. However, I ended up having the Mini service place do it. I told the used car dealership I understand that their labor rate is different so I just want to be reimbursed for the parts and labor it would have cost them if they did. Today they told me they will not.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

This is in NYC, The car is about 5 years old.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

The manufacturer was the Mini Dealership, they did the repair.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I guess that's about it.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
11/16/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

On review of your facts, you have a good case.You have a few options. Let me outline them. You can pursue a complaint in civil court. You may sue for losses suffered plus costs and interest. You can also file a complaint with the attorney general office. You can threaten these options before pursuing and use for leverage. local counsel can also get involved! A lawyer letter alone can often bring about a settlement as the other side realizes that you are serious and gets concerned about its risk and legal fees.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Awaiting your reply, thank you!