Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My son got a letter stating that the warranty on his car was…

Customer Question
My son got a letter...
My son got a letter stating that the warranty on his car was expiring and needed urgent attention he called and gave the credit card information thinking it was from the dealer they charged 1294 dollars October 24, I got the bill today and noticed it wasn't form the Mercedes Benz dealer and it is not affiliated with them. I called to dispute the charges and they say since my son gave them the information and credit card there is nothing I can do about it.
I called the credit card company and I am going to dispute the charge with theme but they say is difficult if since my son authorize the charges
What legal options do I have?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
11/16/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: KnowYourRights, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
KnowYourRights

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. It sounds as though he responded to a solicitation, from a third party. Is his warranty expiring? Does he want a warranty?

The warranty with the manufacturer is expiring but we wanted trough the dealer and not this solicitors
I am sorry I wan'r correct, the warranty is not expiring, he is covered for 3 years and it has only been 1 year

Thank you. In a situation like this, you could inform the credit card company of the misrepresentation, deceit and fraud. These companies often try and trick and mislead owners to believe they are dealing with the company, when they are just a third party company who buys lists, to try and get people to call and use their service. If your son was tricked, he could dispute this and advise of the same and file a complaint with the Attorney General and BBB, to have this company and their trade practices looked into.

I already did that the credit card company they say since my son authorize it I have nothing to do, that is why I want advice on what to do next

At this point, you can file a complaint with the Attorney General and see if they will investigate and get involved. You can also file a complaint with the BBB. Both agencies may try and resolve this and work towards getting a refund. If that is not possible, the next step would be to retain counsel and sue them for their unfair and deceptive trade practices.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Infolawyer, Lawyer