Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My car was repossessed, can I reinstatr. New York 2013

Customer Question
My car was repossessed...

My car was repossessed , can I reinstatr

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

New York 2013 hundai

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

No, do you mean the bank? Happen about2 hrs

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I will like to reinstate and work on lowering my payment

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
11/16/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good evening,

There is no automatic right to reinstatement. I would recommend you call the bank/lender tomorrow morning and see if they will allow you to reinstate the loan by paying all past due amounts and any towing/storage fees that have been incurred. If you're able to at least pay back the amount you are in arrears, most lenders will release the car to you once you've given them the money (guaranteed funds, such as a cashier's check, may be required).

If the contract is not reinstated, the lender will likely look to sell the vehicle at auction. In New York State, if you have paid more than 60% of the loan when the car is repossessed, the lender must auction the vehicle within 90 days.

If the car is auctioned, the lender will apply the funds first to any repossession or storage fees and expenses and then to the balance owing on the loan. If the amount recovered at auction is insufficient to pay the loan in full, the lender can look to sue you for the balance remaining, called the deficiency.

As far as lowering payments, you can look to refinance the loan. Depending on your credit, you may be able to get a lower rate than what you got when you bought the car, especially if you went through the dealership.

Was there anything I could clarify for you, or additional information you needed about this matter? If so, please REPLY WITHOUT RATING FIRST, and I'll be happy to help further. Otherwise, if I have fully answered your question, please leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars at the top of the page. This is the only way experts like myself are compensated by the site for our time and assistance. Thank you.

RobertJDFL, Lawyer