Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I bought a used car on a GM Dealership AS-IS, 3 month later…

Customer Question
I bought a used...

I bought a used car on a GM Dealership AS-IS, 3 month later the engine blow. They state all the maintenance were done prior the sale but there is no prove of that on the car fax and I'm stock with a car loan and no car and they are ignoring me, Is there anything legally i can do ?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Florida, 2011

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Yes, but is out of warranty, they will repair the car but i will have to pay full price which is around 13k and my car loan is for 16k

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Thank you

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
11/16/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 8 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

Unless the dealership made material misrepresentation during the sales pitch, you are stuck with the car. Your only recourse would be to stop making payment on the car and let the lender come after you for nonpayment. However, if you can prove material misrepresentation, that the dealership made false representation that made you to purchase the car, then you can file lawsuit against the dealership for unfair and deceptive act and practice to force the dealership to pay for the repair cost.

You may consider retaining the services of a local consumer Attorney to assist you with the case. Most consumer Attorneys would take a case on contingent fee basis. This means that the Attorneys may not charge upfront for their fees and would only get paid if they win the cases for the consumers. Even then most Courts award Attorney fees to prevailing consumers. So, you may not have to pay out of pocket to obtain a consumer Attorney to assist you with the case.

You can use the following sites to find local consumer Attorneys:

Consumeradvocates.org

Lawyers.com

Justia.com

Findlaw.com

Goodluck with your case,

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.