Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

At the end of January 2017, I used PayPal to pay for some…

Customer Question
At the end of...

At the end of January 2017, I used PayPal to pay for some supplements from China. I did not agree to anything like an account agreement from PayPal. In June there were five withdrawals from my checking account totaling $4800 with the following note for each on my Wells Fargo account, "PayPal inst. xfer 170624 Ryan Lopes61 Lee Sims". I immediately took that info to my Wells Fargo bank and they deemed it a fraud transfe, cancelled my account, established a new account and sent the info. to their fraud division. A few days later, I received a complete refund from PayPal with the following note on my Wells Fargo Account, "PayPal Hist Rtn 170710 Ryan Lopes61 Lee Sims". Then two days after my account had been cancelled, Ryan Lopes PayPal attempted another withdrawal of $6700. Since PayPal no longer had access to my account, they hired a collection agency, "Convergent" to collect the $6700. PayPal then harassed me with 4 to 6 phone calls per day. Now they have hired another collection agency "American Karate" for PayPal account charges for an account that I never agreed to. PayPal sends me a bill every month and I simply write, "Refused" on the envelope and return it.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?

State of Arizona and the purchase from China made at the end of January 2017.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

No; I have not corresponded with PayPal.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am 93 and live in an "Old Folks" Home in Tucson.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/16/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: WiseOwl58, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer

You should report this as a fraudulent transaction and elder abuse to PayPal. PayPal will remove the charges from your account and give you a full refund once you say the magic words that this was fraud. I know it works and you will be fine.

Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

Please rate 4 or 5 stars and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

Consumer Protection Lawyer: WiseOwl58, Lawyer replied 7 months ago