Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I was the registered owner of a vehicle. Earlier this year,

Customer Question
Hello,Yes. I was...

Hello,Yes. I was the registered owner of a vehicle. Earlier this year, my adult son took the car without my permission for several weeks. I eventually was successful in finding and repossessing the vehicle on my own. I traded the vehicle to a dealership for another vehicle which I now own.
I was contacted yesterday by a representative from the dealership that the car that I traded to them and they subsequently sold to someone else was repossessed by a local title loan company because of an outstanding loan on the vehicle.
When I contacted the loan company to inquire about the outstanding loan, it was evident that the identifying information of the person making the loan was my son who happens to have the same name as me.
I informed them of the fact that my son had the car without my permission and had obviously made the loan without my permission and that I didn’t believe I should be responsible for what he did.
The representative from the car dealership called today to inform me that they will take whatever legal action against me to make themselves whole.
My question is -- Am I responsible for the repayment of this loan? I don’t want to waste everybody’s time if I am.
Thanks in Advance

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Texas. The car was a 2016 Hyundai Veloster.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

For what?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
11/15/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Are you there?

I'm here. I'm just reviewing your question and preparing a response:-)

Thanks so much for your patience. The answer to your question is no, you are not responsible for this loan. If they do, then you can implead (include) your son and you may even bring a cross-complaint against your son for fraud. In addition, you may also want to bring a cross-complaint against the loan company for negligence if they didn't verify that he had the authority to make the loan. The short answer is that you aren't responsible for repayment of the loan since you did not make it and it was done fraudulently. It is possible that your son committed a crime as well so keep that in mind. What other questions did you have for me?