Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have a crdit card-I paid off and closed at Sams Club that…

Customer Question
I have a crdit...

I have a crdit card-I paid off and closed at Sams Club that the bank who owns the Credit card hasn't canceled and re-billed me for the total amount I paid when I asked Sams club to close the account back in 2012 and charges I didnt make were added and many late pay and interest and I have tried and tried to get that bank to straighten out that I don't owe this and they now have it from some 500. I paid in full and I have a recept to almost 2000. now and I clear it off my credit and months later they refile w/ a new credit collection-its ruined my credit and I need help. I am 82 and disabled.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

Texas-early 2012

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

I have contacted Syconey Bank-the credit card co. time and again and think its fixed and months later its just refile w/ a new credit collector

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/14/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

It seems like there are a couple causes of action that you may have against the debt collector Under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act at section 1692e, it is unlawful for a debt collector to say that you owe a balance when you do not. In the future, you may want to consider just writing a cease and desist letter (click here) for all collection attempts under the FDCPA. Lawyers use letters like these on the regular basis to enforce their client’s rights. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation. If they continue, then you should file a complaint with the FTC regarding their action.

If they cannot verify the debt, then they can no longer collect on it. In addition, you may want to consider sending a letter to the credit reporting agencies, advising them that this is an improper debt. You can click here to purchase a template to send to the debt collection companies to have them remove the debt from your credit report.

What other questions did you have for me?