Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I saw a truck on line on craigeslist for be a caar dealer.

Customer Question
Hi, i saw a...

Hi, i saw a truck on line on craigeslist for be a caar dealer. it gave a specific of the truck so i put 2000 dollars down thru my checking account and when i went to pick the truck up it was not as described. i have the ad that was on line. when i saw the truck and drove it i told them that the truck was not the same as they described it. They used words like, excellent, great shape and nice truck. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being great the truck that i saw was a 2. So i told them that i could not but the truck in condition and i asked for my 2000 back. I was told that there is no refund on down payment which i was never told that. So trying to keep my downpayment i told them to put the 2000 down on another truck that i was. What they did was to raise the price on the other truck and gave me 5 days to come up with the balance. Nothing on the ad of the first truck was as advertised. Example the color of the interior was not as advertised, the motor was a v-8 and the ad has it as a v-6 and the ad say that the truck is in great shape, the truck has rust all over the cab. Can i get my downpayment back or can i just sue them for a amout that would cover the downpayment?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?

I am in south carolina and i told them that i could not buy the truck in that condition because it would not make it back to greenville as bad as it was running. I came from greenville sc with my niece

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

No im sorry this is a 1989

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
11/13/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: WiseOwl58, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer

Yes you have a claim against him for fraudulent misrepresentation.

Fraudulent misrepresentation means he gave you false information with the intent that you would rely on it and make the purchase decision. If you did not believethe engine was overhauled, you would not have bought the semi. Therefore, you have the right to reverse the transaction, give back the truck and get your money back from him. You can file a claim in small claims court or hire a lawyer to sue him if he is uncooperative. Either way, you will win here.

Please rate 4 or 5 stars and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

ok thanks

You must accept the answerfor me to get credit.

Please rate 5 stars by clicking on the stars.