Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

In 2012 my grand daughter defaulted on 4 student loans and

it was turned over to...
In 2012 my grand daughter defaulted on 4 student loans and it was turned over to collection. When contacted setup repayment plan. @65 pmts paid. When trying to contact company for bal owed couldn't be reached so called orginal leander and was told they have not received but 7 pmts and she still owes them and recovery company has been paid about 65 pmts. Is it not the orginal leanders respondible to have got their money from recovery company. Recovery company no longer exist but take pmt out of bank every month
JA: The Fraud Examiner will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Fraud Examiner should know?
Customer: Are you talking about the bank .They have turned it over to their fraud department
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
How long does it take to get answer its been 3 hrs
10/22/2017
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

I apologize for the delay... there might not be many attorneys on the website tonight since it is Saturday...

.

What is your legal question that I can help with?

.

Are they claiming that granddaughter hasn't made the payments she has made?

.

Does she have proof of sending payments in, like cancelled checks?

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
4 students to made with Sallie Mae were in default Redline Recovery call and a settlement was for $29,720.00 we paid $3000.00 up front and payments were set $385.00 per month and to draft from bank account. $385.00 a month has been that being atuo pay to Redline since April 2012 thru Sept 2017. When trying to call Redline for pay off amount she couldn't reach them. So she contacted Sallie Mae and they have not received pmt for Redline since Sept 2012. But she or myself have never heard from Sallie that they are not getting pmts. So now they said she owes $111,000.00 to Sallie Mae. My question would it not be their respondible to have contact Redline about their money since Redline was hired by them to collect. How Sallie wants to settle for $7000.00. Should we settled are what do we need to do? I'm sure bank should have bank statements on file to prove pmts were take out of account

My question would it not be their respondible to have contact Redline about their money since Redline was hired by them to collect.

.

Correct, if they hired Redline as their agent to service the loans, then it is up to them to keep track of their "employee".

.

After this long should the loan have been paid off according to the original settlement agreement?

.

And they are saying they will settle for $7K now after all these payments?

.

Have you contacted the Attorney General's Consumer Protection Division?

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
The settlement was for 29,720.00 and we paid 3000.00 up front leaving 26,720.00 to be paid out at 385.00 per month 65 pmts have been made and Sallie Mae says they received the 7 pmts Apr 2012 thru Nov 2012. So over 22,000.00 has been paid that they didn't get from Redline. They want 7,000.00 more dollars to settle what they say she owes which is 111,000.00 because they didn't get the 22,000.00 that has been pay t0 Redline. No we haven't contacted Attorney General yet we just find this out Wednesday. I feel we should contact GA and tell Sallie to find Redline and collect for them.

Ok, this is really an issue between Sallie and Redline that has little to do with you. But they are trying to push it off on you because it is easier that way..

.

I would suggest you contact Sallie after adding up the entire amount she has paid... the $3K and all the $385 payments ... and then tell them you will settle for whatever is left over. That is around 5 years at $385 a month, or over $23K... plus the $3K paid up front, and that should be over $26K of the $29.7 K that was agreed on...

.

I would tell them that I will settle for $3K or you are going to call the Attorney General's Consumer protection division and file a fraud complaint against them and Redline and the AG can then intervene and find out what happened and prosecute whoever needs to be prosecuted.

.

That will give them something to think about and my guess is that they will come back with an offer to settle for the $3K..

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thanks we will contact Sallie Mae and Ga Monday but when we talked to them on Wednesday of course we so upset the we just said ok but not until we get something in writing so they emailed an agreement to us but we will contract the bank and tell them not to let auto pmt go thru. We put stop pmt on pmts to Redline.

I agree, you need to put the pressure on them because this screw up is their fault.. their problem to fix. IF you call them and mention the Attorney General, that will get them scrambling around to work something out with you..

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thanks for your help

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Lawyer
Barrister, Lawyer