Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

We are an used car dealership in Colorado. A UCC examiner…

We are an used car...
We are an used car dealership in Colorado. A UCC examiner from the State attorney generals office conducted a routine review of our accounts and determined that we had been charging a late fee of $30, which exceeded the UCC limit of $15. I would like to know if there is a statute of limitations regarding how far back we would be required to refund previous customers.
10/17/2017
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response both initially and when you add a follow up question or add facts. Please don't ask "are you there", etc., since when you post it can erase what I am working on. If we are having a conversation unless I tell you I am going offline, I will be here but I may be doing research.

While waiting for a response, please do not keep asking questions, such as "Are you there", etc. since that can erase whatever I am writing and also interrupts the thought process. I will be back with you as soon as I can do any research necessary, formulate a response, and type it in.

If you receive a notice or email regarding a phone call for an extra price that comes directly from the website and not from me and I have no control over the sending of the notice or email. I don't take part in the telephone program and only work through this format and under your facts this format should be sufficient.

Most people do't realize it but many lawsuits can be filed under different causes of action which make the statute of limitations vary.

There would be a statute of limitations and it could be up to six years depending on how they phrase the lawsuit (cause of action). That could also be calculated from the time it was discovered rather than from the time it was collected.

The six years is based on it being a suit on account. It would be three years for a standard breach of an oral or written contract, with the starting date again being from the date it was discovered.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

Even if you are a subscriber or have a trial membership please leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so that the website knows I have answered your question.

would the state attorney generals office have the authority to act on behalf of all our previous customers, or would each customer have to sue us for the late fee overages individually?

The AG can bring an action or, if enough people are involved, a lawyer can bring a class action. In addition, each customer can bring their own action if they desire.

Finally, are these types of UCC actions by state AG offices common? That they actually sue small businesses for UCC violations routinely? Or is is more likely a scare tactic?

Yes, it is common. They will usually settle rather than go to trial but if they see it they usually pursue it.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer

Thank you very much for allowing me to assist you. While the answers I give can't always be "good news", since the law can't always be favorable to everyone, I do strive to be as accurate as possible and to answer any follow up questions to the best of my ability.

You may receive a survey of some kind in the next day or so regarding your experience here at JustAnswer. Please be advised that I am responsible for the content of my answers but not with the issues of website performance or anything other than the answer. I hope that you will consider issuing a Positive Rating regarding my service to you so that I can continue helping others.

If I can ever provide assistance to you in the future please feel free to ask for me by starting your new question with "FOR DWAYNE B ONLY" and I will pick up as soon as I see the question.