Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

In 2015, I took out a personal loan with CircleBack Lending…

In 2015, I took out...
In 2015, I took out a personal loan with CircleBack Lending to cover short-term costs of moving and home improvement. Since then, CircleBack has gone out of business. I have always paid on time (auto-pay) and all is well, but if the company no longer exists, where is my money going? How will I pay it off in full? How can I manage my account? The p2p loan model only does a "soft pull" of your credit and the loan doesn't show on your credit report. What happens if I don't pay if the company is not in existence??
10/17/2017
socrateaser, Lawyer

When a business becomes insolvent, it sells its receivables to its creditors. If you are continuing to pay on the loan, and your payments are not being returned, then some creditor is accepting payment. If you want to know who that creditor is, and you cannot find them, you can stop paying, and I can practically guarantee that they will suddenly appear and demand payment.

I'm not necessarily encouraging you to stop paying, but it is reasonable that you know who you're paying. And, if for some reason no one tries to collect (which I believe is about as likely as a snow storm in Tahiti), then you will be free of the debt.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

socrateaser, Lawyer
Thank you for the advice!

You're welcome and thanks for using Justanswer!