Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

We are moving forward with the remodeling, bit the general…

We are moving forward with...
We are moving forward with the remodeling, bit the general contractor already exhausted his maximum time estimate, but the work is 70% done. Since we paid him off around 80% of the total sum, he's not in the hurry to finish it up. He is delaying, sometimes we don't have anybody working on site for days.Here is the contract wording in regards ***** *****:"At this time, we can only provide a rough estimate regarding the dates since external factors such, for instance, as availability of supplies might cause some delays. Construction works assumed to be commenced upon pulling all the necessary permits and be substantially completed within approximately 19-24 weeks thereafter (subject to Owner-purchased materials are provided in timely fashion). This proposal is subject to acceptance within 30 days and it is void thereafter at the option of the undersigned.
.At this time, we can only provide a rough estimate regarding the dates since external factors such, for instance, as availability of supplies might cause some delays. Construction works assumed to be commenced upon pulling all the necessary permits and be substantially completed within approximately 19-24 weeks thereafter (subject to Owner-purchased materials are provided in timely fashion). The Company will strive to provide habitable conditions by August 26, for Owners to move in.Some of scope tasks (which don't affect habitability) may continue until 24 after weeks after start."We had rough construction only done by August 26, and we are right at the end of 24 weeks period without any delays based on availability of materials, permits etc.Here is the question - what legal mechanisms do we have to against severe delays and project negligence going beyond contractual agreement?Thanks!
10/17/2017
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer

You should file a complaint with the state contractors licensing board, which is a state agency. They will conduct and investigation and make a ruling in your favor.

What state are you in? I will send you the form to file.

Please rate 4 or 5 stars and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer
We are in CA - please send me the form

Since this is a California matter, the contractors licensing board will accept the complaint filed online.

Here is the link to file online. Go to the bottom right corner where there is a link to start the complaint, after reading the information on the page explaining the process.

https://www2.cslb.ca.gov/OnlineServices/ConstructionComplaint/ComplaintFormProcess.aspx

Best of luck with it. Please let me know if you need anything else.