Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I purchased Omega Xl supplements based off the television…

Customer Question
I purchased Omega Xl...

I purchased Omega Xl supplements based off the television commercial and tried it for 90 days with no relief of my joint pain. After the three month window I called to cancel the subscription and called two more times to cancel the shipments however they still deduct money from my account without my approval with the last two times putting my account in overdraft status which is even more money for a product that isn't working for me. What recourse do I have at this time

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?

I am in Georgia and no I haven't consulted with anyone else because I just checked my bank account to find the makers of the supplement had taken money out again causing my light bill payment to send the account in overdraft status.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Yes, I have talked to the manufacturer whom transfer me to the customer service representative to complete the cancellation process.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that is about the complete situation as my next step will be to call my financial institution to close the account and open another one.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/5/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 8 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you used your debit card or checking account to make payment, you need to contact your bank and dispute the charges as fraudulent, since you never authorized them. If your bank cannot recover the money based on the charges being unauthorized fraudulent charges, your next step is to not only close the account, but also to contact the Attorney General in the state where the company who did this is located and file a complaint with them. If the Attorney General cannot resolve the issue and get your money back, then your final option would be you have to go to the state where the company is located and file suit against them in small claims court and part of your damages would be the reasonable costs of travel there to file your suit against them or you can get a local attorney in that state to sue them and seek damages from them and argue that this is an unfair and deceptive practice in which case the court has the discretion to award you attorney's fees as part of your damages.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.