Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I've been trying to get my money back from Lowe's for over 2…

Customer Question
Hi, I've been trying...

Hi, I've been trying to get my money back from Lowe's for over 2 wks. I went to the store Sept 5, and wanted to order some stain. They did not order it. Then the following week on Wed. they ordered it with my credit card without my permission and charged my credit card $544.88.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Yes, they said almost 2wks ago they reversed the charges.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I also contacted their supposed Execustomer service and all they do is keep putting me off and now won't return my calls.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/3/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, an Illinois licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

I can type.

You have a couple of options here.

First, if a charge was placed on your credit card without your authorization then you can dispute it with the credit card company and, if Lowes can not show proof it was a valid charge from you, it will be reversed and your account permanently credited back for the amount.

You can also sue them in small claims court. Small claims court is designed to be a "user friendly", simplified process, so that you can present a claim without an attorney. Also, it moves much more quickly than regular court. You can get the necessary forms to start from the clerk of the court.

Finally, you can file a consumer complaint with the Illinois Attorney General at the following link:

ILLINOIS CONSUMER COMPLAINT

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

I did file a dispute but my credit union says it can take up to 90 days! I'm guess I'm going to take them to civil court. Thank You!

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!

Loren, Lawyer