Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I am currently dealing with an issue regarding a cell phone…

Customer Question
Hi, I am currently dealing...

I am currently dealing with an issue regarding a cell phone I purchased on Amazon on May 20 of this year. After contacting Amazon regarding this issue on Sept. 18 they contacted the company I purchased it from and provided them with the order number and the company then mailed me back stating that they would either provide a replacement or refund my money, stating it was my choice. They repeatly stated via email correspondence over an 8 day period that once they received the defective phone they would overnight a replacement to me. It was not until the 8th day that they emailed me back and stated that their cell phones only had a 90 day warranty. After a few more emails they then stated that they would repair my cell phone and overnight it to me and would not provide any warranty going forward. They received my phone on Monday Sept 25 and other than sending me an email on Sept 26 stating that they would not warranty their work, I have not heard back from them.
If I had been told they would not replace the phone in the beginning, although I would have been disappointed, I would simply have purchased another phone from a different provided with a warranty and then I could have transferred the data from my old phone to the new one.
Is there anything I can do legally regarding this issue or am I stuck with shipping costs and loss of time and the data on my old phone?
Thank you in advance for your advice!

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?

I live in Colorado and the company is in New York. The phone was purchased on May 20, 2017. It did start having intermittent operation before the 90 day warranty was over but it took me a few weeks to ensure that it was the phone and not other possible factors.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

No, it was a reconditioned phone

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that should cover it! Thanks. :)

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
9/28/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
I can suggest some options. would you like that information? please let me know and i will put it together and respond shortly. You can wait or come back later when we email you that a reply is ready. Thanks for your patience. This is not the answer. just an opening question so I can better focus the answer and make it more helpful.
No thank you. What a joke! I have requested the refund of the $5.00. Have a good day.
No problem.